Christian Ott, Dr.-Ing.
Head of the Department for "Analysis and Control of Complex Robotic Systems"
Head of the
Helmholtz Young Investigators Group
for „Dynamic Control of Legged Humanoid Robots"
DLR - German Aerospace Center
Institute of Robotics and Mechatronics
P.O. Box 1116
D - 82234 Wessling, Germany
under construction ...
Fields of Interest
- Nonlinear Control
- Flexible Joint Manipulators
- Impedance Control
- Kinematic Redundancy
- Dual Arm Manipulation
- Robot Dynamics
- Humanoid Robots
- Biped Walking
- (physical) Human-Robot Interaction
- Special Issue on Physical Human-Robot Interaction Through Force Interfaces in Advanced Robotics, the official international journal of the robotics society of Japan. Deadline: April 30, 2010. The special issue will the published in March 2011.
Recently, my book on Cartesian Impedance Control of Redundant and Flexible Joint Robots is available from Springer Verlag as Vol. 49 of the Springer STAR series (Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics). It covers the results of my PhD thesis as well as some newer parts including the two-arm impedance control of DLR's humanoid manipulator "Justin".
About the book: This monograph is devoted to the classical topic of impedance control, which has recently seen renewed interest following advances in the mechanical design of lightweight robotic systems with improved actuation and sensing capabilities. After a general introduction into the topics of impedance control, the book focuses on two key issues, namely the treatment of joint flexibility and kinematic redundancy. Several control laws are developed based on mature approaches such as the singular perturbation theory, cascaded control theory, and passivity. The controllers are compared based on their conceptual potential as well as practical implementation issues. The evaluation was performed through several experiments with the DLR arms and the humanoid manipulator 'Justin'.
- From May 2007 to June 2009 I have been working as a Project Assistant Professor in the Lab. of Prof. Nakamura at the University of Tokyo. More details on my current work in Tokyo are available at my local homepage.
- Full Day Tutorial at ICRA 2007 on Nonlinear Control of Flexible Joint Robots
More details can be found at the Tutorial Homepage or at the ICRA 2007 Homepage.
- Physical Human Robot Interaction in Imitation Learning
D. Lee, Ch. Ott, Y. Nakamura, and G. Hirzinger
IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 2011, Shanghai/China.
- A Humanoid Upper-Body System for Two-Handed Manipulation
Ch. Borst, Ch. Ott, T. Wimböck, B. Brunner, F. Zacharias, B. Bäuml, and G. Hirzinger
IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 2007, Roma/Italy.
Winner of the ICRA 2007 Best Video Proceedings Award.
- The Robutler: Towards Service Robots for the Human Environment
Ch. Ott, Ch. Borst, U. Hillenbrand, B. Brunner, B. Bäuml, and G. Hirzinger
IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 2005, Barcelona/Spain.
Finalist for the ICRA 2005 Video Award.
The video is available for download at the homepage of the Robutler project.
A list of my publications can be found here.